We’re proud of our history as a British lingerie brand that's been setting the standard for over a century,
through our commitment to quality, style, and innovation.
Gossard was founded in 1901 by Henry Williamson Gossard, a Chicago-based entrepreneur who saw an opportunity to bring the latest French lingerie styles to the US market. His inspiration came from Actor Sarah Bernhardt, after seeing her figure transformed on stage by a specially designed corset. From the beginning, Gossard was dedicated to creating lingerie that was both fashionable and functional, with a focus on quality materials and craftsmanship.
Over the years, Gossard has continued to innovate and lead the way in lingerie design. Gossard revolutionised the industry by making the radical step of moving the laces on a corset from the back of the garment to the front, making it easier to get on and off and increasing comfort.
In the 1930s, the first "all-in-one" corset was launched, which combined a brassiere, girdle, and stockings into a single garment. H.W. Gossard Company ceases to be an American Corporation and becomes the British company you know today.
During the Second World War, Gossard's production was turned over to assist with Britain's war effort. We produced everything from brassieres for the Women's Royal Naval Service to sails, parachutes and even single-seater fighter dinghies.
Gossard took another pioneering step by introducing Silkskin - a lightweight, pre-shrunk girdle featuring an innovative wonder fibre, Nylon. The Perma-lift range of bras and girdles launched in the 1950's, featuring the 'Magic Insert', a cleverly shaped support within each bra cup to give permanent uplift.
In the decades that followed, we’ve continued to push the boundaries of lingerie design. In the 1960s, with the introduction of the "Wonderbra," a padded push-up bra that became an instant sensation.
Later, in the 1970's, we developed the 'Sheer Glossies' range which gave a 'natural' look under clothes.
And in the 1990s, with the "Superboost" bra, which combines a plunging neckline with underwire support for a dramatic, flattering effect.
Model Kate Groombridge became an ambassador for the 'Ultrabra Superboost' range and was later named as the 'face' of the Gossard brand following its success on the high street. The bra proved popular, and even proved controversial when the advertising campaign was considered too racey for British television.
In 1996 Sophie Anderton became famous after appearing in the Gossard Glossies "girl in the grass" national advertising campaign shot by Herb Ritz, with the strapline "who said a women couldn't get pleasure from something soft?".
In 2002 we introduced the G-Strings, which immediately sold out. The G-Strings with diamantes and the signature "G" logo became very popular in the 2000s.
Emma Willis was announced as the face off Gossard, a "Gossard Girl" this year for the Showtime reimagining of Belle Epoque.
Today, we remain a leading brand in the lingerie industry, known for our attention to detail, quality materials, and innovative designs. Whether you're looking for a supportive and comfortable everyday bra, or a glamorous special occasion piece, we have something to offer.
We have a century long dedication to quality and innovation, and we're proud to be part of a community of lingerie brands that share these values. Whether you prefer classic styles or modern trends, there's lingerie here for you – and we're here to help you find it.
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Non Padded Plunge Bra - Orchid£26.40 Regular Price £44.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Non Padded Plunge Bra - Black/Ivory Rose£44.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Deep V Bralet - Orchid£27.60 Regular Price £46.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Thong - Orchid£11.40 Regular Price £19.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Thong - Black/Ivory Rose£19.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Short - Orchid£13.20 Regular Price £22.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Short - Black/Ivory Rose£22.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Suspender - Black/Ivory Rose£28.00
- Superboost LaceSuperboost Lace Padded Plunge Bra - Orchid£26.40 Regular Price £44.00
- GlossiesGlossies Sheer Moulded Bra - Mango Sorbet£21.60 Regular Price £36.00
- GlossiesGlossies Tanga Thong - Mango Sorbet£10.20 Regular Price £17.00
- GlossiesGlossies Cheeky Short - Mango Sorbet£10.20 Regular Price £17.00